Signs you have a toxic friend:
- Most of the time, you feel bad about yourself after hanging out with them: even if there’s nothing particularly horrifying happened during the time you spent together, you still feel dejected. There’s this small whisper from the depth of your heart that you’re wasting your time with this person. However, guiltily, you push these thoughts away.
- You don’t really know how, but they always have the last say in an argument: even if you have a literal list of arguments planned out before the confrontation, some way or the other, it always ends with you guiltily apologizing.
- You are terrified, yes, completely terrified of stating something against them. God forbid you criticize them because instead of listening to what you have to say, they would accuse you of wrongly misjudging them. After every intervention, you are always left with a pool of guilt and a hint of anxiety to a point that the mere thought of standing up to them makes you feel uneasy.
- In conflicts that you are not involved, whether it be that brawl in forth grade, or recent break up with a significant other, they always paint themselves at the right side while recounting those stories in vivid details. It’s as if the world is conspiring against them, and they are this helpless little creature always at the mercy of the cruelty of the world.
- Their attention is push and pull. They might say you are the closest person they are with, but they always have a ready hoard of sources of attention once yours is drained.
- Whether it be subtle or harsh, they always find ways to criticize you, BUT, here’s the catch. They would assure you afterwards that even if you are not really worthy of love, they love you anyway.
- After an argument, they always almost lay out their sob stories– how the confrontation has affected them personally, but they almost never really ask you how you feel after the confrontation. You can count on one finger the amount of time they really genuinely want to know about your well-being.
And if you’re still not sure, here are some more signs: if you read this post with a person in mind, and if you hesitate in sharing it because it would definitely ensure shady comments making you guilty of even thinking of calling them toxic, then you, my friend, are in a toxic friendship.